Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Recipe: Cherry Slice Dessert

This recipe has been in my family for over 20 years, my kids always ask for their own pan at Christmas, and I cant resist when I make it, its habit forming. With a shortbread crust and the second layer similar to a pecan pie it is delicious!!!
Before starting use my tip for easy 
removal from pan and ease of cutting.

Cookie Crust:
1 cup flour
1 cube butter
2 Tbsp powder sugar
Mix ingredients until crumbly, press into foil covered 9x13 pan
Bake ONLY 12 minutes 375͒

Mix together and spread over crust 2nd Layer
In small bowl mix ingredients well
1 cup sliced maraschino cherries (reserve juice from cherries)
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 cup brown sugar (I have cut back on the brown sugar to 3/4 cup)
1/2 t. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of sale
1 cup chopped nuts (your choice) walnuts, pecans, etc

Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool

Remove from pan before icing. Pull down edges of foil from sides to make easy cutting into 1 ½ inch squares and serve. Best if covered and can be stored in fridge.

Icing:
1 cup powder sugar
1/2 Tbsp. milk
3/4 tsp. reserved cherry jucie
Mix together milk, ½ teaspoon almond extract and powdered sugar.
Whisk together until there are no more lumps, put in ziplock, cut a tiny hole and drizzle over cooled bars.

Notes:

You can freeze these without the icing.

The original recipe called for candied fruit, (which I leave to fruit cake) I just dont like candied fruit, Oh I said that, so I changed to Maraschino cherries.

I have changed the name from cherry bars to “Cherry Slice” and instead of granulated sugar I use powered sugar in the crust.

This is a holiday tradition I usually make at Christmas but its good anytime, so it is kept for special occasions and to take for a desert to take to parties. You cant leave it alone!!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!